Triangle Pose is our Pose of the Week
Triangle Pose or Trikonasana is a standing pose in many styles of yoga. Trikonasana is one of the first yoga poses we learn, but it doesn't come easily to everyone. In Sanskrit, “trikona” means three angles or triangle, and “asana” means pose.
How to do Triangle Pose:
- Step your feet wide apart, about 4 to 5 feet.
- Ground through all four corners of the feet. Contact the thigh muscles up toward the groins.
- Turn your right foot out 90 degrees so your toes are pointing to the top of the mat. The centre of your right knee cap should be aligned with the centre of your right ankle.
- Inhale to stand tall, elongate the back, and extend the arms out to the sides. Exhale and reach the front arm forward and the torso forward as much as possible. At the end of the exhale, and the end of your reach, tilt the shoulders to come into the full posture.
- Try to keep the hips working to open. Use the back gluteus muscle to help do this.
- Keep the neck long and the chest open. Imagine a spreading of the sternum.
- The head can look down at the front foot, straight in front, or at the top arm. Just make sure there’s no strain in the neck.
- The forehead should be above the chin at all times
- Do not lean on the front leg. The bottom hand should not be weight bearing against the leg at all.
- You can use the backside of the bottom hand to push against the front leg and help to further open the chest.
- Let go of the need to touch the ground.
Benefits of Triangle Pose:
- Therapeutic for stress, anxiety, back pain, flat feet, neck pain, and sciatica
- Helps relieve anxiety
- Stretches your hips, groins, hamstrings, calves and spine
- Opens your chest and shoulders
- Strengthens your back, neck and abdominals
- Stimulates your abdominal organs, aiding in digestion
For many years I have enjoyed an active lifestyle, this included rock climbing, mounting biking and windsurfing now days its all about the yoga, swimming or going to the gym, and along side all of these I take a great interest in the foods that I consume. I love to research new recipes and now how all the different whole foods that I am using are going to benefit me not only with my physical body but also my mental body. I love to share and inspire people to be come healthier be it through yoga, or adopting a cleaner whole foods eating plan.