Uttanasana – Forward Fold
This is a very simple pose, but one that brings a lot of benefit to so many parts of our body.
“tan” to stretch or extend.
“asana” pose or posture.
How to do Forward Fold:
- Stand with your feet together arms down by your side.
- As you inhale raise the arms up above your head reaching through the finger tips.
- As you start to exhale, draw the belly inwards taking a slight bend in the knees and gently push back through the hips to bring more weight into the heels.
- Folding from the hips (not the lower back) allow your upper body to release down towards the ground.
- Allow the hands to rest by the feet or take hold of the elbows.
- Breath in as you push up through the hips, as you exhale allow the upper body to stretch down to the ground with the crown of the head pointing down.
Benefits of Forward Fold:
- Calms the brain and helps relieve stress and mild depression
- Stimulates the liver and kidneys
- Stretches the hamstrings, calves, and hips
- Strengthens the thighs and knees
- Improves digestion
- Reduces fatigue and anxiety
- Relieves headache and insomnia
- Relieves tension in the spine, neck and back
For many years I have enjoyed an active lifestyle, this included rock climbing, mounting biking and windsurfing now days its all about the yoga, swimming or going to the gym, and along side all of these I take a great interest in the foods that I consume. I love to research new recipes and now how all the different whole foods that I am using are going to benefit me not only with my physical body but also my mental body. I love to share and inspire people to be come healthier be it through yoga, or adopting a cleaner whole foods eating plan.