Crescent Moon / Anjaneyasana
In Sanskrit: (AHN-jah-nay-AHS-uh-nuh)
“Ahnjahna” – Lord Hanumān, using his mothers name Anjani and believed to be the incarnation of Lord Shiva.
“Asana” – Pose
How to come into Crescent Moon:
- Let’s start in Downward Facing Dog, inhale lifting the right leg high pushing up through the ball of the foot. As you exhale step the right foot up in between the hands and bring the left knee down to the mat. (you may want to pad up the knee)
- Next as you inhale, lift the chest up from the thigh reaching up through the arms. Spread the fingers and palms wide and make sure to push the right foot down into the mat, lifting the toes to activate the foot.
- Then as you exhale scoop the tuck the tail bone under neath you by lifting the pubic bone up towards the belly button.
- Next lift through the spine, opening the chest on the inhale but keep the shoulders relaxed down.
- Then curve the spine backwards as you breath out and bring the hips forwards and down. Allow the right knee to be slightly forwards of the ankle.
- Now hold for 5 breaths, making sure to keep the tail bone tucked under and the pubic bone lifted, this will help to keep length in the lower spine.
- Lower the hands down to the mat, push the ground away from you and step the right foot backwards returning to your Downward Facing Dog.
Benefits of Crescent Moon:
- Strengthens the quadriceps and gluteus muscles.
- Stretches the psoas and hips.
- Stretches your hamstrings, quads, and groin.
- Relieves sciatica pain.
- Relieves tension in the hips.
- Expands your chest, lungs and shoulders.
- Helps to build mental focus.
For many years I have enjoyed an active lifestyle, this included rock climbing, mounting biking and windsurfing now days its all about the yoga, swimming or going to the gym, and along side all of these I take a great interest in the foods that I consume. I love to research new recipes and know how all the different whole foods that I am using are going to benefit me not only with my physical body but also my mental body. I love to share and inspire people to be come healthier be it through yoga, or adopting a cleaner whole foods eating plan.