The best way to practice yoga is to incorporate it throughout your day. Being able to draw from your yoga classes and do a 5-minute yoga pose several times a day when your brain and body need a break most can really be effective!
Each week we will bring you a new yoga pose.
This week’s pose of the week is Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana). It’s a pose that achievable by most people and lengthens the spine, opens up the chest and counteracts sitting hunched over all day at a desk!
How to practise Cobra Pose:
- Lying on the floor, put your hands on the ground slightly in front of you and tuck the elbows into the chest.
- On an inhalation, begin to straighten the arms to lift the chest off the floor, going only to the height at which you can maintain a connection through your pelvis to your legs.
- Press the tailbone toward the pelvis and lift the pelvis toward the navel. Narrow the hip points. Firm but don’t harden the buttocks.
- Make sure you draw the shoulders down.
- Look forward, lengthen the back of the neck, release tension in the face or jaw.
Don’t overdo the backbend. To find the height at which you can work comfortably and avoid straining your back, take your hands off the floor for a moment so that the height you find will be through extension.
- Helps relieve stress and fatigue
- Stretches chest and lungs, shoulders, and abdomen
- Strengthens the spine
- Firms the buttocks
- Stimulates abdominal organs
- Opens the heart and lungs
- Soothes sciatica
- Therapeutic for asthma
- Traditional texts say that Bhujangasana increases body heat, destroys disease, and awakens kundalini.
If you’d like to find more yoga poses to help combat sitting at a desk all day join our Desk Yoga Workshop on Saturday, April 28th from 2pm – 4pm for just £25