Bridge Pose / Setu Bandha Sarvangasana is our pose of the week.
This pose is perfect to build strength in the legs but also for those working towards a shoulder stand. It is a beginners back bend pose, ideal for those that may suffer from back pain due to sitting for long periods.
How to do Bridge Pose:
- Start by laying down on the floor with your arms down beside you.
- Bending at the knees bring the feet flat on the floor (ankles directly below the knee).
- Push the lower spine into the floor.
- Taking a deep inhale, push down through the feet and shoulders, lifting your hips off the floor.
- Interlinking the fingers underneath you, draw the shoulder blades together and push through the arms.
- Tuck the tail bone towards the underside of the knees and draw the chin into the chest.
- Keep strengthening through the arms lifting the chest upwards and squeeze the thighs inwards.
- Hold for 5 breaths.
- As you breath out, lower the spine down bringing the hips down last with your arms beside you.
- Bring your feet together and allow the knees to fall to the sides.
- This can also be performed with a block between the thighs.
Benefits of Bridge Pose:
- Opens the chest, heart and shoulders.
- Stretches the spine and the back of the neck.
- Stretches the thighs and the hip flexers.
- Relief from stress & headaches.
- Increases lung capacity.
- Stimulates the abdominal organs.
- Improves digestion.
For many years I have enjoyed an active lifestyle, this included rock climbing, mounting biking and windsurfing now days its all about the yoga, swimming or going to the gym, and along side all of these I take a great interest in the foods that I consume. I love to research new recipes and know how all the different whole foods that I am using are going to benefit me not only with my physical body but also my mental body. I love to share and inspire people to be come healthier be it through yoga, or adopting a cleaner whole foods eating plan.