Firefly / Eka Pada Koundinyasana
Firefly has many different names depending on the style of yoga you practice, but no matter the style the benefits are the same.
“Koundinya” Name of sage
How to do Firefly:
- From down dog come forward into a high plank making sure the biceps face forward.
- Bend at the elbows coming down into low plank with elbows tucked in.
- Keeping the elbows bent draw the right knee towards the right tricep keeping the left leg straight.
- Rest the right knee onto the top of the tricep and keep the left elbow tucked into the ribcage.
- Pushing down through the finger tips start to lower the upper body towards the floor lifting the left leg up.
- Make sure to squeeze the elbows into the ribcage and activate the core.
Benefits of Firefly:
- Builds muscles strength at the arms, shoulders, chest, core, hips, spine and hamstrings
- Works well in activating the internal organs while strengthening the abdominal muscles.
- builds self confidence on his own body and mind.
- Brings awareness and connection to the body as the focus is more towards balance.
- While working on the core muscles, this pose helps to keep a strong and flexible back.
- Works on the overall strength of the body, thus encouraging good blood flow while also activating the various systems and functions of the body.
- Tones the entire body with the burning of the fat, focusing more towards the belly.
For many years I have enjoyed an active lifestyle, this included rock climbing, mounting biking and windsurfing now days its all about the yoga, swimming or going to the gym, and along side all of these I take a great interest in the foods that I consume. I love to research new recipes and know how all the different whole foods that I am using are going to benefit me not only with my physical body but also my mental body. I love to share and inspire people to be come healthier be it through yoga, or adopting a cleaner whole foods eating plan.